Friday, December 18, 2009

World War 2 Collectibles

From Roger Podacter
To Karl

Hi, I saw your thing on-line that you are looking to buy some WW2 stuff.  My dad's father was in WW2, but we're not exactly sure where.  He never did like to talk about it much.  He was killed this past summer in an explosion in his garage which our local police department still hasn't figured out.   We've been slowly going through his personal items the last couple months.  We did find a couple boxes of old war stuff in his attic, but no one in my family is really interested that.  I've been really enjoying a lot of his old pictures and hand tools.
I do have 2 pictures, but I could get more if you like. He had helmets, medals (no trophies), dog tags, a few small daggers and then some misc items (some of which I have no idea about).
I've attached the 2 pictures, when is clearly a helmet for some unit or group.  The other I have no idea about, he's got about 4 of them.
Let me know how much you'd be willing to give for them.  We're really just looking to get rid of them, otherwise they'll just be tossed out.
Thanks,
Roger



From Karl
To Roger

Hi Roger,
Thanks, got the photos. The helmet is a civilian police and the other item looks like a land mine, deactivated I would think.
Do you have any other photos of the other helmets and daggers? If so I'd be very interested in buying them and possibly other items.
Where are you located?

Best Regards,
Karl *******                                                                             

From Roger
To Karl

A LANDMINE!?!?!?  Are you sure? How do I check to make sure its deactivated?  Is it worth more if its active?
I'm located in Somerset, but I could meet you halfway from wherever you are.

From Karl
To Roger

Just be very careful handling it, I need to go out for a few hours, I'll check back about 12:30.
                                                               
From Roger
To Karl

Karl, is there anyway I can tell if its active? I am getting pretty nervous about this. 
I called the detective who is working on my grandfather's case and informed him of the landmines.  They've been looking for the source of the explosion that killed him, and this could be a viable option. 
What is usual lifetime of these things? Could that be possible?
I'm just too nervous and scared, I am moving this thing outside.

From Roger
To Karl

Karl,
Please get back to me as soon as you can. My brother-in-law Dewayne is an ex-marine and is a huge weapon nutjob.  He's out in the yard right now and messing around with it.  Its making me quite nervous. 
I doubt that the thing would still be active and thats what actually killed my grandfather, but I just don't want to take that risk.
-Roger

From Karl
To Roger

Glad it's outside, I'll try to find out what I can. Will be gone until this evening and will check back then.
                                                                        

From Karl
To Roger

Roger,
I hope all is well with the mine. I'm still interested in the other items you have. If you could send some photos of the other helmets and daggers and any metals that look like German I'd appreciated it.
Best Regards,
Karl ******                                                                             


From Roger
To Karl

Karl,
I never should have listened to you and assumed the mine was inactive.  Friday afternoon I was taking some digital photos of some of the war items to send to you, when I was startled by my grandfather's lawnmower puncturing the outer walls of my 2nd story office.  My brother in-law Dewayne was attempting to determine if the land mine was active or not by having his raccoon Kevin run at it and leap onto it. On the first attempt the mine detonated and sent a small shock wave through my grandfather's lawn.  A small shed, an older pick-up, part of the kitchen and living room and a weeping willow were destroyed.  Kevin did not survive the blast.  Dewayne was mostly fine, he's lost hearing in his right ear and had two of his legs sheared off.
Obviously none of this would have been possible without your help.  (I'm being sarcastic).  I'm not going to hold a grudge though, but there is no way I am selling you any of my grandfather's old war items.  These are dangerous if they wind up in untrained hands.  Sorry for my harsh tone, but its been a rough weekend.
-Roger

2 comments:

  1. hahaha, landmines...

    ReplyDelete
  2. its really very nice that you preserve your culture thanks for sharing this with us....

    ReplyDelete